- 1kg natural plain full-fat yoghurt (not greek)
- pinch of salt
- Place a large sieve over a bowl. Line with 2-3 layers of cheesecloth.
- Add the salt to the yogurt and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared sieve. Gather the edges of the cheesecloth together, twist and tie securely, let it rest into the sieve.
- Cover the top with cling film to prevent anything from getting into your labneh.
- Rest in the fridge to allow the whey to drip out of the yogurt. The longer you leave it to drain, the thicker the labneh turns out. 8-14 hours will give you a soft-strained labneh. 24-48 hours will give you a thicker cream-cheese-like labneh. 48-72 hours will result in a much firmer yogurt cheese which you can roll into small balls using oiled hands. You would coat these balls with herbs/spices of choice and store them in Old Country Olive Oil in an airtight jar.
- Regular labneh lasts in your fridge for up to 2 weeks. The labneh balls last for about a month.
- Serve it with bread, crackers, veggies, anything really! Mixing in thyme or dried, crushed mint adds extra flavor to your labneh.